Minutes

 

Friern Barnet Community Library

Minutes of the General Meeting on 7 March 2016

PRESENT                                                                                                                    ACTION                                                                                      

Chair                Kate Salinger

Minutes           Keith Martin

Trustees          Anne Finnie, Barry Rawlings, Joanna Fryer, Pauline                            Coakley-Webb and Rudolf Stravens

Supporters      Dave Cope, Harry Gluck, Penny Marlton, Sheri Darby,                         Samar Barakat and Yvonne Ruge

APOLOGIES  

                           Frances Briers, Hugh Weldon and Terry Bernstein

MINUTES of the meeting on 9 February 2015

Approved.

MATTERS ARISING

14.2   Outside light

A light had been fitted to the library wall.

Trustees’ Report

Monthly Charity coffee mornings at FBCL

Invitations had been sent to The MacMillan Fund for Nurses and Age UK Barnet and a coffee morning held for the former.

Application for grants from John Lyon’s Charity

 An application was being considered by JLC for a drama and psychology project involving a paid psychotherapist.                                          

REPORT FROM TRUSTEES

 

Other grant applications in progress to Barnet Council were:

1                            For computer studies and English as a Foreign Language, probably from the Autumn term 2016

2                            Furniture for FBCL, currently with Ken Argent.

Volunteer morale was good, although there remained a continuing need for further manning of the issue desk on Saturdays.

Fundraising had included a quiz on 24 October 2015, organized by Simon Smith and his team of helpers from Jesus Hospital, attended by 108 participants, which had raised about £900.

The Waitrose Community Matters collection at North Finchley and Whetstone had raised £721. It was planned that the proceeds be used towards the Children’s Library at FBCL.

CCTV had been installed in the library and appeared to be acting as a deterrent to further instances of theft, apart from minor irritants.

The AGM on 13 July 2015 had received an unaudited report of the financial position for the year ended 31 March 2015.

The accounts have subsequently been completed and the Annual Return filed with the Charity Commission, but not yet circulated to library members.  It was planned that the AGM in 2016 would consider accounts for both 2015 and 2016.                                         

FINANCIAL REPORT

Joanna reported that Harvey Donnelly had succeeded Harry Gluck as Treasurer. 

The financial position was sound with about £35,000 in the bank and a further £10,000 receivable from Barnet Council.

The prompt reimbursement from petty cash of disbursements by volunteers was an issue which would be addressed.                                                                                                            TRUSTEES

Keith suggested that a computerised system of membership records including annual renewal reminders and a drive for new members directed to residents of Princess Park Manor and members of the two local residents associations would be cost effective and open up an untapped source of revenue, volunteers and expertise.                                                                                                                                                  TRUSTEES

SAVE BARNET LIBRARIES CAMPAIGN

Keith reported that the local campaign, supported by press coverage, had organized four marches with an open London bus and a marching brass band. The national lobby of MPs at Westminster on 9 February 2016 had been strengthened by the intervention of CILIP, the body representing professional librarians nationally, which was liaising with the Government to provide clear guidelines to local authorities defining what was legal and what illegal in actions concerning their statutory duty to provide an efficient and comprehensive library service.

Barnet Council planned to outline its current plans at meetings of the CELS committee on 23 March and full Council on 4 April 2016.

EVENTS

Samar reported that on 11 March at Rani Vegetarian, Long Lane, Finchley, there would be a fundraising Mental Health Charity Dinner at £30.

Joanna reported on plans for a Mexican Food Fiesta at FBCL, on a Saturday after Easter 2016.

18 April 2016, 6.30pm at FBCL Visit by twelve visitors from Barnet’s twin town Chaville, with a talk by Keith followed at 7pm by a Bring a Dish supper.

28 April 2016, 7.30pm at Trinity Church Centre, Nether Street, Tally Ho. The Finchley Society would hold a public information session on libraries and open spaces.

5 May 2016 (the day of the London Mayoral election) 7pm at FBCL, showing of a documentary film on the reopening by the community of Rhydfelin Library, £3 as a fundraiser for this Welsh library.

Probably October 2016, another quiz supper at FBCL organized by Simon Smith. Suggested limit to the first sixty participants, entry £10.

Some smaller themed quizzes, perhaps four times a year.

OTHER BUSINESS

Joanna urged publicity for success of the weekly Careers Advisory events at FBCL on Tuesday mornings. The adviser had interviewed seventy-three people, both unemployed and on short term contracts.

Yvonne volunteered to edit and revise the Volunteers’ Manual. It was agreed that many gems of suggestions were hidden in the diaries on the issue desk.                                                                           YVONNE

Penny enquired about plans for redecorating the interior.

It was suggested that the Trustees implement plans for:

1                            Obtaining a grant for the work

2                            Repointing where necessary

3                            Carrying out the redecoration.                                                              TRUSTEES

NEXT MEETING

6 June 2016 at 7pm.

Kate said that it was the intention from now on to hold General Meetings four times a year.

The AGM for 2016 would be held as soon as possible after the completion of the accounts for the year ending 31 March 2016, on a date to be decided.                                                                                     TRUSTEES

Keith Martin           8 March 2016


Friern Barnet Community Library
Minutes of the General Meeting on 9 February 2015 
PRESENT
Chair Adam Larkin
Minutes Keith Martin
Trustees Anne Finnie, Frances Briers and Joanna Fryer
Supporters Hugh Weldon, Lisa Lyons, Samar Barakat and Sheri Darby
APOLOGIES
Kate Salinger, Pauline Coakley-Webb and Trevor Howes
PHLOAT
Lisa gave information and answered questions about Phloat, an organisation for 
library members to barter skills and goods in exchange not for money but for 
tokens called phloats. The concept was one of helping each other.
AGREED that Lisa should confer with Kim Lee to decide how best to proceed.
ACTION KIM
MINUTES of the meeting on 1 December 2014
Approved.
MATTERS ARISING
¶ 3 Display cabinet
AGREED that Pauline should continue to remain on the lookout for a
suitable cabinet with toughened glass.
ACTION PAULINE
Books on local history would meanwhile be displayed in the Reference
section. 
¶ 12 Quiz – date and details
AGREED that the quiz offered by Simon Smith of Jesus Hospital
Charity, whose quiz for the library in 2014 had raised about £1,000, be
invited to organise a similar event this year.
ACTION KATE
¶ 13 Timebanking
Lez Karlin had not kept an appointment with the Trustees.
AGREED to let the matter drop.
¶ 14.2 Outside light
The request by Ramsden Road Neighbourhood Watch that a light be
fitted to the library wall , for security reasons, would be discussed by the
Trustees.
ACTION TRUSTEES
TREASURER’S REPORT
Joanna reported that there was about £50,000 in the bank account.
TRUSTEES’ REPORT
Joanna reported that:
Negotiations between Kate Salinger and James Mass of Barnet Council
had produced approval of the library’s Business Plan, a suggestion that
the Council would grant £20,000 towards running costs in 2015, and the
probable agreement to an extension of ten years in the library’s lease.
Keith reported that, independently of these negotiations, he had been
invited by the Chair of the Council’s Children, Education, Libraries and
Safeguarding Committee, to an interview with Reuben Thompstone, the
Chair, and Hannah Richens, Senior Librarian.
Of the four items on the agenda, three had elicited positive offers from
Cllr Thompstone;
An offer for Pam Edwards of Barnet Borough Arts Council to address the
CELS committee, which she had accepted;
An offer for professional Council staff to give training to FBCL
volunteers in computer cataloguing and other skills chosen by the
Trustees; and
An assurance that the library’s lease negotiations would result in an 
extension of at least ten years.
Sheri made the point that the Leader of the Council, Richard Cornelius,
had complimented FBCL as a model library, and that it was important
for us to seize his approval as evidence of the Council’s financial backing
for our plans and security of tenure to receive grants.
AGREED that the Trustees be deputed to conclude a favourable lease
extension with all speed, and to accept the offer of training. 
ACTION TRUSTEES
Joanna reported further that the Trustees had decided that, once a
month, a charity be invited to a coffee morning at FBCL. Suggestions
from the floor were that initially invitations be sent to Age UK Barnet and
The MacMillan Fund for Nurses.
ACTION TRUSTEES
SAVE BARNET LIBRARIES CAMPAIGN
Keith reported that the campaign to save all Barnet libraries – not merely
pressure for individual libraries – had gained the support of all local
library pressure groups and the presentation to Barnet Council of a
petition exceeding 8,000 signatures. This would entitle the campaign to
address the Council at its meeting on 3 March.
REPORTS OF WORKING GROUPS
Grants Working Group
Keith reported that the Group was raring to proceed with plans,
dependent on security of tenure, for major grant applications for
cataloguing the book stock and computerising the membership records.
These would dovetail with Anne Storey’s Library Working Group plans and 
guidance from Barnet Council professional library staff.
Joanna reported that Reema’s contact with John Lyon’s Charity would, again 
dependent on security of tenure, fast forward an application for grants of 
£33,000 for each of three years, for projects involving Young People.
Hugh Weldon was researching library-based school activity perhaps with Friern 
Barnet School - led by the Liverpool author Alan Gibbons, who had twice 
spoken at the library.
Reema and Kate had negotiated a grant of £2,500 for computer lessons at the 
library.
A grant application of £10,000 to Gannett Foundation was awaiting a decision. 
(Stop press. We made the short list of seven out of a hundred, but failed to be 
selected.) 
EVENTS
Any Questions
19 February 2015
Panel of Brian Salinger, Tricia Little, Julian Silverman and Susi
Earnshaw.
No Any Questions event would be organized in March.
Election Hustings – Chipping Barnet Constituency
16 April 2015 
Invitations would be sent to all candidates:
Theresa Villiers MP, Amy Trevethan, Poppy and whoever else is
standing.
Finchley Literary Festival panel event
21 May 2015 
Acceptances so far include Laura Swaffield, Chair of the Libraries
Campaign, and Barbara Jacobson.
ACTION KEITH
OTHER BUSINESS
FBCL 81st
Adam asked about plans. The anniversary would be on 23 March. 
AGREED that the Trustees consider an event on Sunday 22 March.
Janet Liversidge is keen to organise a quiz.
ACTION TRUSTEES
NEXT MEETING
To be arranged as soon as an offer of a lease extension is received from
Barnet Council.
ACTION TRUSTEES
KM
10.2.15

 

FRIERN BARNET COMMUNITY LIBRARY

 

General Meeting on 9 February 2015 at the library

 

DRAFT AGENDA

 

DRAFT AGENDA

 

1 Appointment of Chair and minute taker; 2  Apologies; 3 Minutes of the meeting on 1 December 2014; 4 Matters arising; 3         Display cabinet; 5 Treasurer’s report; 6 Trustees’ report; 7 Save Barnet Libraries Campaign;8  Reports of Working Groups; 8.1  Grants Working Group; 8.2  Other groups; 9 Events: Any Questions 19 February 2015, Hustings – Chipping Barnet constituency 16 April 2015 and Finchley Literary Festival panel event  21 May 2015; 10 Phloat discussion; 11 AOB;12 Quiz – date and details; 13 Timebanking; 14. Outside light ;Next meeting.

 

 

 

 

Friern Barnet Community Library

 

Minutes of the General Meeting on 1 December 2014

 

             ACTION

 

  1. Present

Chair Joanna Fryer

 

Minutes Keith Martin

 

Trustees Anne Finnie, Barry Rawlings, Frances Briers, Harry Gluck, Pauline Coakley-Webb, Rudolf Stravens

 

Supporters

 

Barbara Jacobson, Bob Jacobson, Donald Lygren, Maryla Persak-Enefer, Samar Barakat and Samir

 

     2     Apologies Alison Moore, Anne Hutton, Kate Salinger, Reema Patel and Victor Momodu.

 

  1.     Minute taker

 

Joanna proposed that Keith should, if available, be the regular minute taker, and this was agreed.

 

  1.      New trustee

 

Joanna was delighted to report that Frances Briers had accepted co-option to the Trustees. The meeting voted unanimously and enthusiastically to ratify this decision.

 

     5          Agenda Barbara put the point that an orderly agenda was essential to the  proper conduct of the meeting, and it was

agreed that the draft agenda circulated by Keith be used as the basis for discussion.

 

6       Minutes of the meeting on 1 September 2014 were approved.

 

7       Matters arising

 

¶  3 Display cabinet

 

Pauline reported that the cabinet offered for sale at the Southgate auction had been sold. It was agreed that she be deputed to remain on the lookout for a suitable cabinet with toughened glass.                 Pauline

 

 

 

¶  5 Fundraising

 

Keith reported that the application for a grant of £10,000 from Gannett Foundation had been made on 3 September. A reply was awaited.      Keith

 

An application by the Grants Working Group for a grant to Waitrose with green counters was pending.        GWG  

 

¶  6 Housekeeping

 

A replacement refrigerator had been purchased. Barnet Council had declined to provide and service wheelie bins, and Joanna reported that the Housekeeping Working Group had decided to muddle through.

 

¶  7 Barnet Council’s Library Strategy for 2015

Keith reported how, at a meeting convened by Unison on 26 November “What is happening to our Council services and what can we do about it?”, three bodies had agreed to combine to re-educate Barnet Council into halting their disastrous policies of austerity cuts. And replace them with acceptable ones. The bodies are Unison, Barnet Labour Party and BAPS, for whom Barbara and Keith would act as liaison with all other interested parties. Actions would include two petitions, run by the Labour Party as Our Barnet and the other for BAPS by 38 Degrees.

 The flawed “consultation” is arguably illegal because the three offered options are slanted and exclude the obvious commonsense stating point of the status quo.

 A lively debate ensued, and participants expressed how important they felt it was, that the lease with Barnet Council be signed for at least ten years, before any change in leadership of the Council were allowed to muddy the waters and dilute the sympathy for FBCL’s case expressed by the currentLeader, Richard Cornelius. It was likely that the Deputy Leader Dan Thomas, if he became Leader,  would advocate a licence rather than a lease, to the detriment of the library’s interests.

Joanna reported that a meeting was likely to take place shortly between a representative of theCouncil and Harry and herself, to determine the new extension of the lease – both the term, the rent and the responsibility for repairs.

She agreed to take note of advice from the floor that:

 

  1. negotiations could only be meaningful if made with a Council representative with the authority to act,

 

  1. a starting negotiating position of fifteen years could result in a satisfactory compromise of ten years,

  2. the experience of Lauderdale House in Highgate, whose landlords are Camden Council, was that a twenty-five year lease (and a grant) from the Council solicited an immediate grant of £800,000 from the London Heritage Lottery Fund.

 

A good opening gambit might be:

 

“What are you offering?”

 

If the Council were disposed to muck about, the adverse publicity before the General Election in May 2015 might be unfortunate for the prospects of local Conservative candidates. Agreed that Joanna and Harry be deputed to negotiate robustly.             Joanna/Harry

 It was recommended that the minutesof this meeting be circulated for information forthwith in the library eNewsletter.      Martin

 

¶  10 Volunteer training

 

A Comments Book was now on the issue desk.

 

  1. Report on the CILIP Speak up for Libraries Conference 22 November

 

Keith gave a report, highlighting the strongly-held views of the Chartered Librarians, who comprised the bulk of the one hundred delegates, that:

 

“ A library without a professional librarian is a room,”

 

“To have a library without a paid and trained librarian is the antithesis of a library.”

 

Take note, the Barnet Councillors whose Option 3 is to have its libraries run by volunteers…

 

9 Treasurer’s Report Deferred to next meeting       Harry

 

10        Trustees’ Report

Joanna reported on the heartening progress of the disabled access toilet.

 

  1. A handsome job, almost complete.

  2. Barnet Council, to everyone’s surprise, decided to pay for the work.

 

Next up would be the work on the kitchen.

 

Alfred Ruringirwa was very enthusiastic that the library should support an orphanage in Uganda by donating books, which would be despatched at no cost to FBCL by a charity.

 

Agreed that the venture should be supported by the library and publicity for it given in both the eNewsletter and on the issue desk.      Martin

 

  1. Reports of Working Groups

 Grants Working Group

 

Keith reported that:

 

  1. Letters of thanks, enclosing the library Annual Report and Accounts, had been sent to all bodies who had made grants to the library. Among the encouraging responses had been an offer by Simon Smith of Jesus Charity to organize a second fundraising Quiz for the library, this time at FBCL.

  2. A project had been drafted for the application for a grant of £100,000 to fund:

    1. a computer catalogue of approx 10,000 volumes

    2. a computer system capable of accessing inter-library loans, etc

    3. a computer system of membership records including renewal letters to existing members and the promotion of membership, with the intention of recruiting 5,000 members, which would provide an annual membership income of 5,000 x £5 = £25,000 pa.

    4. Personnel twenty preferably qualified librarians.

    5. Staff cost        20 x 100 hours = 2,000 @ £35 per hour = £70,000

 

  1. Cost of equipment, IT expertise and stationery £30,000

 

7 Total cost   £100,000

 

8 Benefit to the community

 

Providing the readers with a welcome and efficient computer catalogue and a complete computer system of borrowing. Discussion revealed that this project would be outside the scope of the recently announced Council offer to community groups.

 

It was therefore of especial importance that the lease be extended to ten years to allow for the application to go to the Heritage Lottery Fund or John Lyon’s Charity.   

 

                   GWG

 

  1. Events

 

Quiz Date tba     Joanna/Simon

 

Any Questions

 

A think tank produced suggestions for panellists. Keith had already invited Russell Brand, and other ideas were:

 

Jonathan Ross

 

Boyd Tonkin

 

Michael Rosen and

 

Malorie Blackman.        Keith

 

  1. Timebanking     

 

The organizer of timebankbarnet Lex Karlin had signed up FBCL as a member.

 

The object is for members of the community to swap skills and services.

 

For example, Library volunteers could trade their various skills in return for the library receiving skilled help from professionals to catalogue the book stock.

 

Barry expressed support for the idea.   Trustees

 

 

 

  1. AOB

 

14.1 Dates

 

6 December Consultation at South Friern Library 10 to 1.

 

10 December Meeting of Trustees.

 

14.2 Barry reported that at a meeting of the Ramsden Road Neighbourhood Watch, a request had been made for a light to be fitted to the library wall, for security reasons.

 

This would be discussed by the Trustees.   Trustees

 

          15 Next Meeting Monday 2 February 2015             All





KM 2.12.14

 

 

 

 

 

  



Friern Barnet Community Library

 

Minutes of the General Meeting on 1 September 2014

 

                                                                                                                       

ACTION

 

1          Present

            Chair              Frances Briers

            Minutes          Keith Martin

            Trustees         Anne Finnie, Barry Rawlings, Harry Gluck,

 Joanna Fryer, Pauline Coakley Webb

            Supporters    Adam Larkin, Janet Liversidge, Kim Lee, Matt Hart,

                                    Samar Barakat and Sheri Darby

 

2          Minutes of meetings

 

August 4 2014, 7 July, 4 June AGM (outstanding), 12 May (outstanding), and 7 April were noted.

 

4.8.14              Noted that the successful trip to the rubbish dump had

been made by Matt Hart and David Cope;

 

3               Matters arising

3.1      7 July Display cabinet

 

The display cabinet offered by Janet was discussed. It was agreed

that ideally what was needed to display items for sale, local history books and publicity material, would be a freestanding stable cabinet. Pauline agreed to look for something at auction and, if possible, recommend a purchase before the next Any Questions event on 17 September, in liaison with Anne Storey.                        

Pauline

 

3.2     4 August

Schools officer:Joanna reported that this post was still vacant. Samar

volunteered to help with students at Dwight School.

 

3.3

 Reema’s services had been invaluable in transferring about £200 from Paypal into the Co-op bank account. The money has not yet been extracted from the PayPal account (which I believe is the one used to collect donations from Nationbuilder) and needs action by the Treasurer to give over the PayPal code to link the FBCL bank account to the PayPal account, thus allowing a transfer(s) to be made. This is not a priority at the moment.

 

 4             Treasurer’s report

       It was reported that the FBCL Report and Accounts for the period ended 31

       March 2014 had now been audited and would be presented for approval

      shortly to the EGM.

 

5             Fundraising for projects

 Matt had raised £160 on book sales.

 Several suggestions were made as an aid to progressing projects at the

 library.

5.1    Gannett Foundation grants of up to £10,000

Kim would research the deadline for applications. Charities can apply for money to help local projects through the Times Series.

 

Applications of any size or ambition are invited, though typically grants are made for substantial projects that require and merit awards of between £5,000 and £10,000. 

 

Each nomination will be judged on its own merits at the absolute discretion of the trustees, whose decision is final. Applications must be submitted on the approved GANNETT FOUNDATION APPLICATION FORM 2014 V1.docx (attached to this email) Any applications which do not meet our criteria or which do not follow our rules and procedures will be rejected.

The completed form and supporting document should be sent via email to mbuhagiar@london.newsquest.co.uk by 5pm on September 12. Submissions on paper will not be accepted.

http://www.times-series.co.uk/gannett/application/                        Kim

5.2    Waitrose

Janet would apply for FBCL to be one of their monthly

            beneficiaries of green tokens collected by customers.                        Janet

            Joanna reported that the two quotes received for work on the toilet

            extension had been more expensive than anticipated. Pauline and Matt

            counselled that for reasons both of health and efficiency and finance, the

            toilet extension and kitchen work required a rethink.    Working Group

 

6          Housekeeping

            Health and safety issues to be addressed were:

            A wasp nest outside the library. Matt had phoned Barnet Council.

            Mould appearing on interior walls. Harry counselled washing this

     with soap as a first measure.

     The refrigerator had broken down. Agreed that a replacement be

     purchased without delay.                                                                      Harry

     Janet highlighted the often disgusting state of litter bins behind the

     desk and in the kitchen. Agreed that Barnet Council be asked to

     provide and service wheelie bins.                                                        Harry

 

7               Trustees’ Report

Joanna reported that the trustees were considering alternatives to banking with the Co-Op, who had proved to be inefficient.

Discussions with Susannah Lewis of Barnet Council Estates Department about the lease awaited the formation by the Council of a new Library Strategy for 2015.

Future plans included:

2 October 2014`       National Poetry Day

A talk on scams

A talk by Ros Schwartz, an author and translater.

 

8               Barnet Council’s Library Strategy for 2015

Focus Groups had been held from 26 to 28 August with invited members of the public from citizens’ panels (but apparently no representation from either FBCL, the Library Association or library staff).

Pauline had on 27 August her letter published in The Guardian in response to their leader article on Public libraries; losing the plot. Pauline’s letter was entitled The evolving role of libraries in the digital age, and addressed national implications of Barnet Council’s Library Strategy.

 

Reliable sources suggested that among ideas floated by some councillors in the draft Library Strategy were:

1                     Contracting the library service from fifteen professionally staffed libraries to four, and

2                    Down grading other libraries to being volunteer-led.

 

The meeting discussed three draft resolutions tabled before the meeting to either the Focus Groups, the public Council meeting on libraries on 28 October 2014 or as a part of the public consultation which would precede the finalisation of the Library Strategy.

The meeting decided to monitor the situation and to decide how best to advise Barnet Council at a later date.

 

9               Events

     Any Questions

     Fridays  !9 September, 17 October, 21 November and 19 December with

     panellists including

     Theresa Villiers MP, Sarah Sackman, Poppy, Andrew Dismore,

     Cllrs David Longstaff and Anne Hutton, Thor, Julian Silverman, Father

     Paul Walmsley-McLeod  and Andrew Cowen.

     Thursday 15 January 2015, as a change from Fridays, in order to

     encourage the participation as panellists and audience of those of the

     Jewish faith.                                                                                              Keith

 

            7 September 2014    Socratic Dialogue

            1 October 2014          Pampering evening.

            17 December 2014    Christmas Party

            tba                               Book Launch of The Colour Black by the  daughter

 of a former librarian at FBCL.     

 

10           Volunteer training

Kim reported that he was discussing individually with volunteers how they should:

1                     Study the Library Manual

2                    Join together in groups of volunteers

3                    Come to the party on 3 September.

He had studied the procedures for the rota system on the issue desk, and set out suggestions for dealing with situations of short staffing and sudden unavoidable absences.

Agreed that the Manual should include the phone number of at least

one window cleaner, in the event of the urgent need of a ladder.                     Kim

 

Joanna recounted how a partially-sighted reader had told her that FBCL was, for her, the best of all Barnet’s libraries. The volunteers go out of their way to help her choose books to borrow.

It was agreed that a Comments Book be put on the desk, so that comments – good and bad – would be recorded.                                        Joanna  

 

11             Reports of Working Groups – Grants Working Group

Keith reported that at its next meeting on 28 September, the Group would write to both existing and potential sponsors, enclosing FBCL’s Report and Accounts for the period from 5 February 2013 to 31 March 2014.

 

12            Other business

            Janet would provide copies for reference of New Southgate Journal.

 

13            Next meeting

            Date deferred pending the holding of the EGM for approval of

            the FBCL Report and Accounts to 31 March 2014, for which notice of

            21 days was required.                                                                        Joanna

 

KM      2.9.14            

            

 

Agenda for 1st September at 7pm

1 matter arising from the minutes

2 trustee report

3 volunteer training

4 upcoming event

5 Kim proposals for the volunteers

6 AOB

 

End

 

 

FBCL Open Meeting Minutes 4th August

To mark the hundred years of World War 1 a few words were expressed and a minutes silence was held in memory of those who fought and were effected by the war.

Matter arising from the last meeting. The minutes was not sent out to the members again despite reminders although they were forward to FBCL gmail address.

Joanna said the next open meeting on the 1st September will be the last open public meeting and any future meetings will be members only, with one every three months. So we need to big push to get the membership up. It was also suggested a meeting be held to agreed the accounts.

 Trustee report: stated repairs for the building were needed and that included £1000 on roof repairs as well as work on the tiolet, internal decoration and the kitchen. A new sign will also be placed above the entrance. 

Income: The council paid £4000 for the damage to the roof. Keith reported income of £446 from his 'Any Question' events. East Barnet stall made £41, Cream Teas made £28. A grant was issued by Barnet council for the sum of £25000 for this year, leaving a balance of £53000 in the bank. The details of FBCL financial statements would be presented at the financial meetings.

Matt and Trevor achieved some online sales but encounted difficulties with the paypal account, a point was noted to contact Reema to help solve. 

A request for a liaison contact officer with the schools was suggested by Joanna.

Joanna paid tribute and thanked Adam Larkin for his hard work over the last year and gave a brief presentation and card to offer thanks on behalf of FBCL. Adam thanked everyone at the library and he said he will pop in from time to time. We hope to see him at the volunteer party which will be on Wednesday 3th September at 7.30pm.

5 AOB Trevor thanked the person who removed the graffiti from the west wall . The next Any Question will be on 19th September . We will also be holding the pampering evening on the 1st October at 7.30

Also Emily & Adam have taken the rubbish to the dump so please don't dump thing in the yard thank you.

We will look in to getting lockers for the volunteer.

 

Thanks to Francis for taking the notes and chairing the meeting.


 

FBCL Open Meeting Minutes 7th July

Frances Brier chairing.

Attending: Adam Larkin, Franes Briers, Sherri Darby, Rudolf Stravens, Janet Liversidge, David Cooe, Samar Barakat, Luciene Seixa, Sarah Smythe, Dorrell Doesekie, Anne Finnie, Jeffrey Newman (Minutes) Anne Storey, Peter Storey, Pauline Coakley Webb, Samir Patel, Harry Gluck

Agenda

Minutes from last meeting

Agreed without comment

Trustees report

Pauline Coakley Webb will work on extending the lease with Barnet Council such as applying for lease extension which come under the responsibility of Assets, Growth and Regeneration Committee in which she sits as a member. 

Membership Officer: Rudolph was appointed to this role with responsibility for the Membership, which is now by household rather than individuals and is looking at membership renewals. He spoke of the working groups already established.

Repairs and Renovation was planned for the kitchen and toilet - Felix would manage this that could include the closure of library of upto two weeks in order to complete the work. Once a contractor and price have been agreed the work can be agreed to go ahead in August. A suggestion was made that young offenders might be able to do the building work under supervision.Trustees are looking at the possibility of the redecoration being covered by insurance but this will not in any case be done at the same time as the building work.

Non-fiction required some attention with need for a huge move that could take place during the library closure. Two volunteers immediately offered their services to Anne.

Events

Comic Book Project - amazing, credit to Hugh and Joseph

Any Questions - feedback on last and announcement that the next is very much geared to young people 18 Feb when the youngest Councillor in the country will be taking part. So far £378 has been collected via the bucket!

English language class was a little disappointing, perhaps too technical and not what was expected which was supposed to be English as a second language. It was also a little unclear who it was aimed for. We'll see if people turn up - perhaps it's been advertised wrongly. It seems to be more about the origins of language. A issue for the reputation of the library? The title needs modifying? The newsletter advert needs modifying. Recommended: that before a course is put on, there is some vetting by a Trustee but it was felt that such talks and courses are worthwhile.

Massage being offered by Sarah and Luciene  which has to be when the library is closed, as with Yoga (on Tuesdays). Perhaps in September? Joanna will take on events again in September.

Cream Tea was popular last year and may be offered again in August, no date yet fixed.

Working groups

Publicity: had a meeting last week. Discussed Newsletter - to be given a new layout. For events to be included they must be sent by e-mail by 7.00 p.m. on a Wednesday to whole team.

Website also developing and there was a discussion on social media

Mentioned that Joanna will take over the Events/F-R after she ceases to be Chair

Martin will continue as newsletter editor

Membership: no longer possible on line, only by hard copy.

Some of people unsure  about the timing of membership from when to when does the £5 count? Rudolf will be sorting this out.

31st March is end of financial year but the membership year does not have to correspond.

Library working group: 7 people working with Anne each with different responsibilities. The children's area is enormous to do but gradual progress is being made. Close cooperation with Kim since it must all be communicated to volunteers. 1500 of our 10000 books are now on the system.

 Grants group: Needs to Annual Report and accounts to thank those who gave us grants during the year. We need to fix the date of AGM to do this.

 A Fund-Raising group would be helpful and we can look back over what has worked and revisit. Also a display cabinet things which can be sold.

 AOB Two work experience volunteers came - one from J Cross and one from Dwight, both of which did well, though there were questions from one whether she was being given enough to do but may not have been very proactive.

Kim is looking for volunteers and asks for support on this.

DONM 4th August at 7.00 p.m.

- working groups

Feedback from two events


 

FRIERN BARNET COMMUNITY LIBRARY - MINUTES OF GENERAL MEETING MONDAY  7TH APRIL  2014

Present: Adam, Dave P, Samir Patel, Anne Finnie, Karen Walkden, David Cope, Penny Marlton, Emily Mc, Matthew Hartman, Fiona Cochrane, Helene A, Joanna Fryer, Pauline Coakley Webb, Frances Briers, Sheri Darby, Keith Martin, Dave Nyman, Barry Rawlings

Chair: Kim

Minutes: Hugh Weldon

Initial discussion of process for making minutes available, KM unhappy this was not done, AL said he believed that they were put on website once approved, HW said they were sent to Gmail address as usual.

HA raised query about timing of pack for trustee election, JF said these would  be emailed to all members this week for 28 April meeting for adoption of new constitution.

Discussion followed on the nature of the constitution document. KW observed it was legally robust document. Changes can be made.KM felt this was ‘off the peg’ and didn’t reflect the special character of the library. KW said this would be better reflected in separate mission statement.

Further discussion of constitution. HA wanted to know how document would deal with accountability of trustees. KW explained rules for election, to be quorate meeting needed to have 10% of members presented (including proxies). DP insisted potential trustees would need to know the financial situation and obligations due under various grants. HA also. FC said the financial information would be available at the AGM.

Discussion on role of working groups. FC felt that a lot of work trustees currently doing could be delegated to working groups. It was decided to agree a list of working groups, these should be:

  • Sponsorship and grants

  • Bookselling

  • Publicity

  • Events and Fundraising

  • Volunteer co-ordination

  • Environment

  • Premises

  • Decorating

  • Technology

  • Governance

  • Library Group

HW said he would take responsibility for publicising list and seeking interest from people who would like to be involved.

Next meeting fixed for 12th May 7pm. HA will chair.



Friern Barnet Library – Minutes of General Meeting 10th March 2014 

Present: Janet Liversidge, Helene A, Jeffrey Newman, Felix Maguire, Joanna Fryer, Alfred Rurangirwa, Petrakis Petrocostas, Dave Parker, Fiona Cochrane, Martin Russo, Fiona Brickwood, Karen Walkden, Adam Larkin, Keith Martin, Pauline Coakley Webb, Barry Rawlings

Chair: Frances Briers

Minutes: Hugh Weldon 

Details:

KM questioned whether we still have PA – needed for next ‘Any Questions’. JF said no but we could purchase one. KM will find out some information and prices.

JF We have been working on constitution and dates for the election, introduced Karen Walkden.

KW has looked at governance and what we already have – company limited by guarantee using template articles of association which were also used for our charities registration. Have looked at changes which are felt necessary and this will be circulated for approval and meeting will be held to vote on changes. This needs to be done before the election process starts. Ensuring the Membership List is correct and up to date has been a problem.

JF – We still need to download a lot of member details from paper forms. After that is done the AGM for elections can be organised. There will be provision for proxy voting.Two lots of training for trustees being arranged with Victor at Barnet, one for those potentially interested, further training when trustees are elected.

General discussion about transparency of process and arrangements for submitting changes.

HA felt that membership voting rights should be extended to those who had been involved in the original save the Library campaign from the outset.

KW There will be an application pack prepared describing the trustee role.More details to be involved on specialist roles such as Treasurer. Form will be produced to allow potential trustees to be nominated by members.

General discussion about time periods people would be elected for.

KW Have been preparing timeline of steps we need to go through:

  • Sort out mailing list
  • Pack to be sent to all members with constitution and details re trustee training.
  • AGM To be fixed.
  • Trustee ‘taster event’
  • Mail out to members with details of who is standing and how to vote.
  • Election within 21 days of this.

Further general discussion on when dates would be fixed, inclusion of grievance and disciplinary procedure, policy document and mission statement contents which would be separate from the constitution itself.

HA agreed to take over invitations for the 80th Birthday celebration to enable Joanna to focus on the membership list.

AL will organise distribution of these.

Draft schedule for the day discussed. Decided to reduce number of speakers to the three special guests Laura Swaffield, Alan Gibbons and Boyd Tonkin.

KM reminded us that his next ‘Any Questions’ would be 21 March. 

Next meeting fixed for 7 April. 


 Friern Barnet Community Library – Notes of General Meeting 17 February 2014

Present: Pauline Fitzgerald, Adam Larkin, Anne Finnie, Helen Blairman, Keith Martin, James Fielding, Alfred Rurangirwa, Sheri Darby, Samar Barakat, Hugh Weldon, Joanna Fryer, Kate Salinger, Frances Briers, David Cope, Yvonne Ruge

Chair: Kate Salinger

Minutes: Yvonne Ruge

The meeting was mainly concerned with planning the Library’s 80th anniversary celebrations on Sunday 23 March. Joanna led the agenda for discussion and decisions, as follows:

1.  Format: 2.00 Arrivals/ 2.15 Welcome and warm-up quiz (Joanna) – on books representing the past 80 years + mini chocolate bar prize to each right answer/ 2.30 Introduction of the two speakers (Kate) – writer Alan Gibbons and former librarian Laura Swaffield  - talks + questions / 3.15 Possibly – they haven’t yet been asked! – something from the Incognito Theatre Group (Kate) / 3.30 Tea, after admiring birthday cards created by young guests (at the other end of the Library during the talks) / by 5.00 Departure of guests.

2.  Details

a) Speakers’ topics? Development and future of libraries, including ours. Avoid politics.

b) More speakers than two? Most on Adam‘s list of 30 invitees could speak for 5 minutes. Left open.

c) Music, for party atmosphere? Licence needed for recorded music, not for live music.  Left open.

d) Children bored by speakers, so ask – WHO DID HELEN SAY? – to set up 80th birthday card making activity for them, to enjoy but quietly!

e) Public address system needs to be hired (Keith).

f) Pay speakers’ travel costs; nicely wrapped gifts. (Who?)

g) Frances suggested a selection of 80 books as gifts for guests to choose from. Left open.

h) No raffle, but invite to take up membership (Who?). Current membership details needed (Harry).

i) Tea – one large cake (Emily) and lots of small ones (Joanna); no alcohol but cold punch (Joanna) and hot punch (Yvonne); some of us will bring vegetarian sandwiches; cheese straws (Helen); Cosco visit for crisps, juice, tea, coffee, milk etc (Anne and Helen) – shopping list needed.

j) Volunteers needed for washing up and to help mind the children.

k) Building open 10am for setting up of furniture (Alfred, Adam, David)

l) Kate will be representing the Mayor of Barnet.

Other matters

1. The Publicity Committee were thanked by Keith.

2. Minutes should be submitted within 10 days.

3. Traffic warden pernickety over use of loading bay; we would prefer it to be painted out. (Kate)

4. Village Green hearing the previous week – Frances reported that the Council had been positive but the vote was lost by four to five with one abstaining. Kate explained that village green status would not have been a total protection, and has suggested to Richard Cornelius that it be made a council asset.

 The next meeting will be 10 (not 3) March, when the proposed constitution and the timetable for its adoption will be discussed.

The meeting closed at 20.20

Friern Barnet Community Library
Minutes of the General Meeting on 9 February 2015 
PRESENT
Chair Adam Larkin
Minutes Keith Martin
Trustees Anne Finnie, Frances Briers and Joanna Fryer
Supporters Hugh Weldon, Lisa Lyons, Samar Barakat and Sheri Darby
APOLOGIES
Kate Salinger, Pauline Coakley-Webb and Trevor Howes
PHLOAT
Lisa gave information and answered questions about Phloat, an organisation for 
library members to barter skills and goods in exchange not for money but for 
tokens called phloats. The concept was one of helping each other.
AGREED that Lisa should confer with Kim Lee to decide how best to proceed.
ACTION KIM
MINUTES of the meeting on 1 December 2014
Approved.
MATTERS ARISING
¶ 3 Display cabinet
AGREED that Pauline should continue to remain on the lookout for a
suitable cabinet with toughened glass.
ACTION PAULINE
Books on local history would meanwhile be displayed in the Reference
section. 
¶ 12 Quiz – date and details
AGREED that the quiz offered by Simon Smith of Jesus Hospital
Charity, whose quiz for the library in 2014 had raised about £1,000, be
invited to organise a similar event this year.
ACTION KATE
¶ 13 Timebanking
Lez Karlin had not kept an appointment with the Trustees.
AGREED to let the matter drop.
¶ 14.2 Outside light
The request by Ramsden Road Neighbourhood Watch that a light be
fitted to the library wall , for security reasons, would be discussed by the
Trustees.
ACTION TRUSTEES
TREASURER’S REPORT
Joanna reported that there was about £50,000 in the bank account.
TRUSTEES’ REPORT
Joanna reported that:
Negotiations between Kate Salinger and James Mass of Barnet Council
had produced approval of the library’s Business Plan, a suggestion that
the Council would grant £20,000 towards running costs in 2015, and the
probable agreement to an extension of ten years in the library’s lease.
Keith reported that, independently of these negotiations, he had been
invited by the Chair of the Council’s Children, Education, Libraries and
Safeguarding Committee, to an interview with Reuben Thompstone, the
Chair, and Hannah Richens, Senior Librarian.
Of the four items on the agenda, three had elicited positive offers from
Cllr Thompstone;
An offer for Pam Edwards of Barnet Borough Arts Council to address the
CELS committee, which she had accepted;
An offer for professional Council staff to give training to FBCL
volunteers in computer cataloguing and other skills chosen by the
Trustees; and
An assurance that the library’s lease negotiations would result in an 
extension of at least ten years.
Sheri made the point that the Leader of the Council, Richard Cornelius,
had complimented FBCL as a model library, and that it was important
for us to seize his approval as evidence of the Council’s financial backing
for our plans and security of tenure to receive grants.
AGREED that the Trustees be deputed to conclude a favourable lease
extension with all speed, and to accept the offer of training. 
ACTION TRUSTEES
Joanna reported further that the Trustees had decided that, once a
month, a charity be invited to a coffee morning at FBCL. Suggestions
from the floor were that initially invitations be sent to Age UK Barnet and
The MacMillan Fund for Nurses.
ACTION TRUSTEES
SAVE BARNET LIBRARIES CAMPAIGN
Keith reported that the campaign to save all Barnet libraries – not merely
pressure for individual libraries – had gained the support of all local
library pressure groups and the presentation to Barnet Council of a
petition exceeding 8,000 signatures. This would entitle the campaign to
address the Council at its meeting on 3 March.
REPORTS OF WORKING GROUPS
Grants Working Group
Keith reported that the Group was raring to proceed with plans,
dependent on security of tenure, for major grant applications for
cataloguing the book stock and computerising the membership records.
These would dovetail with Anne Storey’s Library Working Group plans and 
guidance from Barnet Council professional library staff.
Joanna reported that Reema’s contact with John Lyon’s Charity would, again 
dependent on security of tenure, fast forward an application for grants of 
£33,000 for each of three years, for projects involving Young People.
Hugh Weldon was researching library-based school activity perhaps with Friern 
Barnet School - led by the Liverpool author Alan Gibbons, who had twice 
spoken at the library.
Reema and Kate had negotiated a grant of £2,500 for computer lessons at the 
library.
A grant application of £10,000 to Gannett Foundation was awaiting a decision. 
(Stop press. We made the short list of seven out of a hundred, but failed to be 
selected.) 
EVENTS
Any Questions
19 February 2015
Panel of Brian Salinger, Tricia Little, Julian Silverman and Susi
Earnshaw.
No Any Questions event would be organized in March.
Election Hustings – Chipping Barnet Constituency
16 April 2015 
Invitations would be sent to all candidates:
Theresa Villiers MP, Amy Trevethan, Poppy and whoever else is
standing.
Finchley Literary Festival panel event
21 May 2015 
Acceptances so far include Laura Swaffield, Chair of the Libraries
Campaign, and Barbara Jacobson.
ACTION KEITH
OTHER BUSINESS
FBCL 81st
Adam asked about plans. The anniversary would be on 23 March. 
AGREED that the Trustees consider an event on Sunday 22 March.
Janet Liversidge is keen to organise a quiz.
ACTION TRUSTEES
NEXT MEETING
To be arranged as soon as an offer of a lease extension is received from
Barnet Council.
ACTION TRUSTEES
KM
10.2.15

Do you like this page?

Be the first to comment


Friern Barnet Community Library